I will be participating in July’s TBR Takedown hosted by Shannon over at Leaninglights. This readathon will run from July 25th to July 31st and will include five small challenges that participants can try to accomplish. I will be doing my best to complete as many as I can, but not to the point where I feel like I am forcing myself to read.
Here are the challenges along with the books I have chosen for each:
- Read the 1st book in a series
- I’m going with Divergent by Veronica Roth. I’ve never read/had any interest in this trilogy no matter how popular it was a few years back, but since I don’t own many series myself, I’m borrowing this one from my sister.
- Read the sequel in a series
- You’d think I’d pick Insurgent, the second book in the Divergent trilogy, but to hell with predictability: I’m going with The Unusual Suspects, book two of The Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley.
- This is a middle grade series about a pair of sisters who find out that they are a part of a crime-fighting family.
- I have read the first one, wasn’t too smitten with it, but I figure this will be an easy read.
- Read something outside of your comfort zone
- All of the books I currently own cater to a genre or author that I am infatuated with, so I had to raid my sister’s books to find this next one. I landed on Jenny Han’s To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before.
- This is YA Contemporary Romance, and I haven’t dabbled in this genre since I was a young adult myself.
- Read a book that has been on your shelf for at least a year
- I’m going to have to go with Atonement by Ian McEwan. I don’t know how long I’ve owned this, but I’m going to try to knock it out of the park this next week.
- Read your most recently hauled book
- This past Saturday I went to Books-A-Million with the goal of finding a book for one of my closest friends. I ended up getting him Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach… along with a few books for myself.
- One of books I got for myself was Maria Semple’s Where’d You Go, Bernadette. I’ve been feeling some mystery in the last couple of weeks so I feel this would definitely satisfy that reading need.
Of the five challenges, I think I can knock out each one except Atonement. I already thought about giving that one away once before so it will really be a personal challenge for me if I can read it within the week.
#tbrtakedown is the Twitter hashtag to use for you tweeters out there (I obviously don’t tweet, but feel free to follow my progress on Goodreads.
If anyone is taking part in this mini readathon, please let me know what books you are planning to bring into it. We can become each other’s cheerleaders!